Monday, May 11, 2009

Positve Reinforcement

Last weekend, we went to our favorite pizza place for dinner. During the meal, we were approached by a lady who had been sitting two booths down. She said that she just had to come over and complement us on how adorable and well behaved our children were. I smiled and thanked her profusely. About ten or fifteen minutes later, another lady came to our table and said the exact same thing. I was humbled. What those ladies said to me made me feel so happy and proud, like I had won an award or something. Clearly, I was not looking for validation of my parenting skills that day. Still, it was wonderful to know that I was doing something well enough to make a difference. People have so much to say when it comes to the do's and don'ts of parenting. However, there is not much to say for getting something right. A change is long overdue. It is time that the world offer more praise for us parents. Positive reinforcement works for grown ups too.

No comments:

Post a Comment