Monday, May 4, 2009

Children Do Listen to Their Parents

Do you ever wonder if your children really listen to you? Maybe they operate on auto pilot when you talk. The other day, I found out how much my two year old pays attention. She's had a runny nose for a few days and has to wipe it constantly. She's too young to blow her nose for real and freaks out if I come near her with a nasal aspirator. So, we let her assert her independence and wipe it herself. While we were having lunch the other day, I offered my assistance. She starts to push me away and I say to her "Your nose is running". "No it isn't", she replies. "Farrah, your nose IS running. See?" "No it's not. It's right here," she says as a matter-of-fact and touches her nose. I laugh. "When I say that your nose is running, it means that it's dripping." "Oh! Mommy, my nose is running away," she says absently as I clean her nose. A few seconds later, she repeats "My nose is running away!" Now that this latest information has been processed, she turns her attention back to her sandwich.
This is not the first time we've ever used the expression "your nose is running". In fact, I don't know of any other way to say it. Nonetheless, I love getting glimpses into how the mind of a toddler works. They learn and grow so quickly. By the time they're five, they'll know just about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment