Friday, May 29, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Cake

Lately, I've been on a mission: to make more snacks at home as opposed to always buying them at the store. A lot of time has been spent sifting through recipes looking for the quick and easy stuff. In particular, I have been looking for things I can bake that don't require eggs or milk. Those are high commodities in my house. There are quite a few good ones so far. I couldn't resist the recipe for vegan chocolate cake, so I made that one first. The way its written, is not totally vegan since it uses white sugar and flour. But that's what I had on hand. The batter comes out kind of thick. It has the look and consistency of chocolate icing and tastes just as good. The cake was incredibly easy to make and I had loads of fun licking the bowl. The amount of batter was enough for one loaf pan. The cake turned out beautifully. My teenage step-daughter and her friends all loved it. Of course if I knew everyone was coming over I would have doubled the recipe. I want to try this recipe using true vegan ingredients. Poor me, I guess I'll just have to make it all over again:)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad they enjoyed it. Flour is a plant so is sugar so technicly they are vegan. No animal matter.the icing might have some animal by products though. Keep cooking.AML

    ReplyDelete